Note: This is NOT a current version of ArtCorgi’s artist contract. ArtCorgi’s current contract can be found at ArtCorgi.com/Artist-Contract/
This is an agreement between you (the artist) and us (ArtCorgi, aka “the site”). By signing up to provide art through our site, you agree to the terms outlined below.
Should this agreement change and should you already be a member of your network, you will receive notice of the change via the email address you provide.
Terms for Selling Work Through ArtCorgi.com
By joining our network of artists, you agree to:
- Appoint ArtCorgi as your non-exclusive agent and allow us to manage purchases, payment, and communication for work clients commission from you through ArtCorgi.com.
- Only submit samples of work that you created and to which you retain copyright.
- Accept orders for your work that are placed through ArtCorgi.com
- Create work for clients that reflects the same artistic style they selected on ArtCorgi.com when commissioning your work.
- Create work for clients that reflects the same level of quality and detail presented in the samples you showcase on ArtCorgi.com.
- Create work that features subjects clients submit as references (so long as clients’ requests are in line with the subjects you have agreed to include in your commissions).
- Create work in the orientation (portrait, landscape, square, Facebook-friendly, etc.) that clients request.
- Submit work within whatever turnaround period you establish with us (time taken by clients to provide feedback on rough sketches does not count toward your turnaround time).
- Submit final drafts of commissioned art in the form of a JPEG that is at least 3000 by 3000 pixels with a minimum resolution of 250 pixels per inch (should you need to submit final images in a different format, you must let us know so that we can notify clients that your image format differs from our standard).
If you create work based on special requests and unique contracts that involve direct, back-and-forth email communication with your client, you agree to adhere to the terms you establish with your client.
You are eligible to sell work through ArtCorgi if:
- You are 18 years old or older
- You have read and agree to our Terms of Service
- You have read and agree to our Copyright Policy
- You have read and agree to the terms of this artist contract
- You have a PayPal account (this is presently the only way we may pay artists)
Accepting and Declining Work
By default, we assume that you will accept all orders made through our site and emailed to you. You do not need to respond to our notifications letting us know that you have received them.
You may decline any order within 48 hours of receiving it by responding to your order notification email and letting us know you will not take on the commission. We would, however, prefer that you not present work on our site unless you are both willing and able to complete it and that, if you arrive at a point at which you cannot take on new work for a while, you immediately let us know (by emailing us) so that we can mark your work as temporarily unavailable.
Our contractual relationship will be terminated if you neither decline an order for your work within 48 hours (should you wish to decline) nor complete it within your designated turnaround time (should you not decline within 48 hours).
Setting Your Terms
By signing up to join the ArtCorgi network, you agree to provide:
- Samples of your work showcasing up to two different styles of commissions you are willing to offer through our site (it is up to you whether you want these samples to include watermarks and you are welcome to showcase more than two commission styles on our site- just email us should you wish to present more alternatives).
- A description of the subjects that you are willing to incorporate into each style of commission you offer through our site (these subjects will be submitted by clients in the form of image uploads- if you only want to depict humans, or you only do landscapes, or if you are only comfortable depicting two people from the chest up for a certain commission style and price point, we ask that you let us know).
- The number of orders of each style of commission you provide that you will be willing to accept at one time (note that if you feature four different commission styles on our site and say that you are willing to accept one order at a time for each, you may receive up to four orders at once; if you can only accept one order of any style at one time, you must notify us so we know to mark all other styles as “out of stock” when you receive an order).
- Minimum list prices for each style of commission you will offer through our site (Keep in mind that if your minimum price point is $100, you may get as little as $80 for a commission, as we take a 20% cut. Also keep in mind that you are free to adjust your commissions’ minimum list prices later on- just send us an email telling us what you want the new minimum list price to be.).
- Reasonable estimates of the number of hours required to create each style of commission you will offer through our site.
- Reasonable, conservative turnaround times for each style of commission you offer through our site.
- Clarification as to whether or not you are willing to accept queries from clients about special requests (more advanced, customized commissions that enable artists and clients to establish unique terms and one-on-one communication via email).
So that we may promote and display your artist samples, you grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt, and publish any content (such as reviews) you post on the site. This license exists only for as long as you choose to continue to include samples of your work on our site and will terminate as soon as you remove your samples or ask us to remove them on your behalf.
By selling through ArtCorgi, you agree to retain copyright of all art you create and sell through ArtCorgi. You also agree to grant a worldwide, fully-paid, royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-commercial, perpetual license to your clients with the right to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, and publicly display their commissions for personal purposes.
By joining our network, you agree to accept payment through ArtCorgi for all work commissioned through our site and be paid 80% of each commission’s list price (as displayed at the time of each commission’s purchase). This price will always be at or above the minimum list price you set for a given commission style. We take the remaining 20% of the final listed price to cover credit card and PayPal transaction fees, marketing costs, client communication, and site maintenance.
Payment for your work will be made up front and in full by clients and held by us in escrow until 48 hours after the final work is completed and delivered, at which point your earnings will be delivered via PayPal.
Some artists want to receive some payment up front. We offer the option to receive 50% of your payment after submitting a rough sketch (and the remaining 50% 48 hours after delivery of the final work) to all artists who have sold at least five works through ArtCorgi.com. Should you want to receive a 50% up front payment for commissions after selling at least five works of art through our site, please email us to let us know.
Payment will be withheld if:
- The work you deliver would not be considered to be in the same style or of the same level of quality and detail of the sample(s) your client selected, as judged by a jury of five other artists within the ArtCorgi network.
- The subject(s) of the work you deliver do not bear(s) a reasonable resemblance to the reference sample(s) selected by your client, as judged by a jury of five other artists within the ArtCorgi network.
- The work you deliver is not in the orientation (portrait, landscape, square, Facebook-friendly, etc.) your client requested.
- Your work is not delivered.
- You do not have a working PayPal account.
- You do not deliver work within the turnaround time you specify on your commission style page and your client cancels his or her order after you missed your deadline. (Clients have the option to cancel orders and receive full refunds when their artists to not deliver final works within their listed turnaround times. Days spent waiting for client comments on rough sketches do not count as part of your turnaround time. In other words, if your turnaround time is two weeks and a client takes one week to return comments on your rough sketch, you have a total of three weeks to submit the finished piece.)
If you create work as part of a special request involving one-on-one email communication with your client, payment will only be withheld if you do not adhere to the terms of the agreement you established with your client or if you do not deliver the work.
Your work’s adherence to our quality standards will not be questioned unless your client submits a complaint through our quality-assurance page. When complaints are submitted, we ask artists within our network to judge whether your work meets our standards, as while they do not have a stake in your profits (or ours), they do have a stake in ArtCorgi’s reputation, and also understand the ins, outs, and difficulty of creating original work for clients.
Payment will only be reduced if you do not meet the deadlines you set for yourself (i.e. if you do not complete your work within the timeframe you specify alongside the samples you display on ArtCorgi.com).
You will not be expected to refund dissatisfied clients. So long as you deliver on-time work in the same style and caliber of the samples you present, and so long as your work reasonably incorporates clients’ requested subject(s), you will be paid in full.
You may cease to work with ArtCorgi and terminate our contractual relationship at any time and for any reason. To terminate your relationship with us, send us an email stating that you no longer wish to sell work through our site. We will remove your samples as soon as possible after receiving your message.
We may also terminate our contractual relationship at any time and for any reason. As a general policy, we will terminate our relationship if you fail to meet the terms for providing work through ArtCorgi that are outlined in this agreement.
You agree to hold harmless and indemnify ArtCorgi against any and all damages, expenses, claims, liabilities, or losses related to your use of the site and our services.